maandag, november 27, 2006

File Under Brilliant: Jeff Samuel - Step (Trapez)


Jeff Samuel stood always for decent minimal-quality, but since 'Bork' (also on Trapez) he moved into more melodic territories which gave his releases just that little more. The third Trapez-album (after Oliver Hacke and the mindblowing debut of Alex Under) is again a killer. Am absolutely addicted to the openingtrack 'Those Were The Days' and closingtrack 'I think they are trying to say something'.
'Those Were The Days' is is the best techno-record of the year: Carl Craig meets Vitalic meets Jesse Somfay.
'I think they are trying to say something' is a James Holden-esque trip with UR-strings and a focus on the dancefloor. This is the track where they end a saturday-night/morning in Panorama in Berlin I suppose. Brilliant.

3 opmerkingen:

Guuzbourg zei

Albumcover reminds me of Linton Kwesi Johnson's Bass Culture. Any references in the music?

Mathias Vermeulen zei

I don-t have that particular album, but I doubt it. It-s not a Basic Channel album :).

O. L. Muñoz Cremers zei

Bedankt voor die Samuel tip. :)